Saturday, May 16, 2015

Al Dente

Al Dente

How will it look on a serious envelope. I swear this was my first thought when I moved from the far more respectable sounding Maryanne Avenue, and performed the necessary address changes required. To make matters worse, the number of my flat was 123.
123 Noodle Street.
Who lives at such a place? Curious George?
Clifford the Big Red Dog? Ernie and Bert?
I'm a lawyer, for God's sake!
Still unpacking boxes I received a letter from my mother, in which my greatest fears were realized.
She told me to throw all unrecognized mail at the nearest wall. 

If it sticks, son, open it. If not…. cook it for three more minutes.
I wrote back the same day.
Dear Mom:
Often, in my arduous, sweat be-drenched days of courtroom litigation I comfort myself in the reminder that in this cruel world I have at least one person that will be my protector. My rock. My lighthouse in the storm. Oh, mother -- even you have let me down. Even you, even you, are not quite al dente.
 


-- © Ciprianowords, Inc. 2015 --

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed! How many cases would you like me to give you? I send a couple of letters to Uk this week(11 pages).In one of them I try to explain to the recipient how an infant child(2-3 year old)could NOT be any help for his mother and how they are NOT mature...Last night I heard on the news how a mother had left her 3 year old boy in the balcony and got in to prepare food for her newborn. The boy climbed up the chair and jumped form the 5th floor!!! That's life?

Anonymous said...

Finally! How long have I been waiting for this? For you to start dealing with themes like the alienation of the individual in an uncaring consumer society or the loss of ideals?! But why the ":" next to mom?